Folks, let's have Fun Seriously !

Thursday, December 25, 2008













How to make iMON VFD external?


It's exact one year now since my PC died with the iMON in it. It was silent night 2007 when my PC went silent.












I just couldn't bother to fix it this time (because its power supply has been replaced already). So, I bought the Acer Aspire L3600 as my belated X’mas present.












It came of course with Vista and with MCE. A remote control was included.


As much I as I hate Vista I hate my remote control. There are simply not enough buttons. You always have to navigate through the menu in order to get to a certain feature.








Then I bought a new remote control.


Lucky, it worked with my existing tranciver. So, I didn't need change much in software.


But, there is a problem that the remote control for some reason doesn't respond reliably.


I always have to remember the good old days with iMON. One day, I just can't stand any more. So, I removed my iMON from the PC corpse.




Unfortunately, it wasn't as simple as I thought. Just to connect the USB cable, that doesn't work.


After some researches and experiments, I found that I can branch the USB power by bridging the USB 5V (VCC) to PWR & CHECK.


Warning: DO NOT try this at home!




Finally, I need a place to house my iMON.




































































If you find this useful and want to reward the author please click here

Flattr this

1 Comments:

Blogger G.S. said...

Really really thanks!!!!!
I had my imon in the closet there are not supported by linux (almost easily)..
A week ago I readed that imon vfd are linux supported out of the box! the I took my imon and tied to get it work without too much problem (the ir and the remote). I took and old atx power supply (installed in a notebook) and began my test.
It works!!!
Then I find and find how to make or buy an external power supply without lucky... since I discover you blog!
Awesome really smart to take the usb power to feed the imon... I though about it and...Now I have it fully working under ubuntu karmik with lirc and lcdproc.
Is not the same than the original sofware but now I have a remote working with the mouse emulation and some system info in the lcd display.
Really really thanks again, you had opened my eyes ;)
PD: sorry for my bad english

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home